Friday, February 27, 2009

Delicious Chocolate Cake Recipe!

Thought i would share the recipe from the other night, it makes a great cake or also really yummy cupcakes!

3 cups plain flour
2 tsp bicarb soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbs instant coffee
1 cup hot water
1 cup cocoa
1 cup milk
200g salted butter
2 3/4 cups castor sugar
4 eggs
1 tbs vanilla extract

Whisk together the hot water, cocoa and coffee until you have a smooth paste. Add the cold milk and whisk until everything is combined. Sift together the flour, bicarb soda and baking soda. In a separate bowl cream the butter for 2 mins. Add the castor sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beating for 30sec after each addition. Add vanilla and beat until combined

Add part of the four mixture and part of the cocoa mixture and beat until combined. Do this until you have combined all ingredients together (try to mix as little as possible i use a whisk for this process not my kenwood as you dont want to overbeat and make them turn out tough!!!)

I then made a choc ganache/mousse filling which was 1.5 cups of cream and 400g cooking chocoalte melted over the stove and allowed to cool to room temp. Once it is cool add two cups of whipped cream to the ganache to make it more like a mousse. I also added chopped violet crumble at this stage to the filling.

I then made a chocolate buttercream to frost the top and outside of the cake and added more chopped violet crumble to the top!

Here are some pics....


What the cake batter looks like


The filling with violet crumble being mixed in


Before the cake was iced


The finished product! YUM!

HAPPY BAKING...

4 comments:

  1. You are like an online cookbook and I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps - I could just eat the batter !!! YUMMO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOU! I've been waiting - and tried to post a comment the other day saying I Have to have the recipe... so I had to make one for my Mum tonight, but had to resort to an old recipe. Was still good, but I wanna try yours, looks super dooper yum! i did crunchie on top - always my backup! I'll post a pic - not as good as yours :( xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks amazing and yummy as always!!!

    ReplyDelete